Swedish muzzleloading rifle query (Muzzleloading)

by DCarlson @, San Antonio, Texas, Tuesday, October 15, 2013, 19:06 (2495 days ago)

Hello,

Long time lurker's first post.
My wife and I target shoot .490/.495-cal. patched round balls from percussion lock rifles about once a month here in Texas where we reside. She has a 1700s Swiss-German ancestor who worked as a gunsmith in Lancaster, PA where the early American long rifle began. [This same ancestor was killed in a bayonets-only attack at the Battle of Stony Brook, NY during the American Revolutionary War vs. the UK :-( ].

I have discovered an early 1800s Swedish ancestor who joined the army during the "allotment" system days, October 1846 to be precise. His "soldier name" was 79 Rikter. He was in the 1st company of the Vaesterbottens Infantry Regiment [I XIX or I XX, unless I'm mistaken]. I was waiting for Mr. O Flatnes' black powder book to be published so I might ask a more informed question, but here goes an ill-informed question instead:

What sort of rifle would a "sharp shooter" in an infantry regiment have carried in the mid-to-late 1840s? The M/1815-26 flintlock, or the M/1815-45 percussion rifle? Were either or both of these weapons "pillar breech" rifles, or simply rifled muskets?

Thanks for any insights you might provide. :-)

Best,
Dave

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread