My New Kammerlader.....Many Questions! (Kammerlader)

by PommyB @, Spokane, Washington, USA, Monday, April 14, 2014, 10:51 (2187 days ago)

Hello all, I am new to the site & to antique Scandinavian firearms in general. I saw a couple of Kammerladers in a gun shop almost a year ago when I visited Seattle & only had a vague idea as to what they were, since then my interest increased & during another visit last week found that they were both still there so brought one home!
I would like to get some help with most all aspects of this rifle. First I would like to confirm what exactly I have. I have been reading all that I can find online, & in Oyvind's book, about these rifles but am still a little confused.
As you can see by the photos it is a 2-band rifle, 49.5 inches long with a 30.5" barrel.
[image]
One of the articles I read indicated that if the serial number on the flat plate at the rear of the action was centered that indicated the rifle was built as a Model 1859, rather than being a conversion, however the wooden filler next to the front barrel band spring is evident which would seem to suggest it is a converted rifle.
[image]
The only serial number I can find on the rifle is 955 & it appears on the left hand side of the action, to the rear of the lever pivot nut, on the top of the action (front & rear), on the rear sight base, trigger guard finial, on the top tang, & on the buttplate. This seems like an awfully low number.
I haven't cleaned the rifle yet, so it is still a little grimy, so I may be missing some markings, but I see nothing on the stock. There is what appears to be regimental markings on the top of the buttplate which are: S M C A 43.
[image]
On the top of the action, between the block & rear sight, there is what appears to be an italic E, which is also repeated on the right hand side of the action just to the rear of the lever, is this a manufacturer's mark? On the rear action flat there is also an oval cartouche with what looks like a JJ inside, is this an inspector's mark?
[image]
Overall I'd say the rifle is in very good condition. Apart from one small area of light pitting the bore is close to excellent, so I'm hoping to have some success when it comes time to shoot the rifle. One issue I am having though is that the lever doesn't want to travel all the way down when the action is closed (see photo). I think it is binding on the upper of the three pins.
[image]
Where can I find directions on how to disassemble the rifle so I can give it a thorough cleaning? Are the nipples removable? I would expect that would have been changed periodically during their service life, are replacements available?
Here's some more photos:
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
What does the R signify?
[image]

I look forward to reading any comments & observations.

Edit: Changed topic to Kammerlader. JJ

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread