Jarmann 3 band single shot rifle (Black Powder Cartridge)

by Staffy, Saturday, July 09, 2016, 04:50 (1360 days ago) @ Staffy

As can be detected during this thread, the actual number of Trials rifles has caused me some confusion.
However, Mr Fjeld in quoting from Mr Hanevik's book has made this somewhat clearer.
It appears that initially 80 trials rifles were produced by Carl Gustafs in 1878, with 25 being sent to Norway, the balance being retained for trials by Sweden.
During 1879 another 100 rifles were manufactured, which were shared equally between the two countries. Further, a additional limited number of individual rifles were manufactured. By Autumn 1879 nearly 200 rifles were available.
Records of production and serial numbers are incomplete, but the highest serial number reported is 203. This rifle could possibly have been made in 1880.
To add confusion, later, some of the trials rifles were converted for use in the magazine trials in the early 1880's.
Other Jarmann rifles appear to have been made in the early 1880's for both Jarmann, privately, and the Swedish Authorities. But again their details and number remain obscure.
I trust the above makes things somewhat clearer, but it is not surprising there are varying statements on the numbers and production details in commentaries on the subject.
On another note, the fellow with the Kammerlader/Lund is now back. So I hope to catch up with him in the next week or so.
I am indebted to Messrs. Hanevik, Fjeld and Erstorp for their kind and patient help in my quest. Kindest regards to all who have contributed to this thread.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread