Gevär m/1815-38 (Muzzleloading)

by Fabian23 ⌂, Switzerland, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:31 (1437 days ago) @ jæger justnæs

Looks very good, Fabian23!
What was the presicion with loose ball like compared to patched ball?

Im my Swedish birch stocked Brown Bess (1808-9 muskets from England) I use a light load after a tip from Mr. Flatnes. Somewhere around 55 grains of Swiss #2 (FFF) is quite accurate and sufficient to make holes in paper at 50 meters. As well as being an economic and accurate load mirage is not a big problem. With the smaller diameter M1815 you might want to try out a load starting at 45-50 grains.
Disclaimer, using FFF in a musket is not recommended for beginners and/or muskets of dubious quality!

Tip: You may reduce the cliks by wiping the flint and frizzen with a dry cloth prior to priming the pan for every shot. Especially in damp weather but i seems to improve ignition also in dry conditions.

Thanks for the tip. My load was 55gr 1.5F (Swiss *4), so weak it was not reaching the target :-D

From what I hear from other shooters both methods are equivalent for accuracy. The "sandwich" method is easier to load but it is only accurate IF you have balls of exactly your bore diameter, which I don't yet have.

--
Give me iron, steel and wood! Tupperware guns are for losers!

My website, growing entry by entry:http://www.militarygunsofeurope.eu

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread