Swedish M1851 Kammerlader with missing parts. (General)

by ironoxide, Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 14:02 (88 days ago)

Hi,

I'm new on the board. I'm interested in older black powder weapons and I managed to buy a Swedish Kammerlader M1851 for a very good price. Unfortunately, the price was good because the gun is incomplete. Specifically someone has shortened the stock to 5cm beyond the first barrel band and the gun is missing two barrel bands, two barrel band retaining springs and the forward part of the stock. I'm planning to restore the missing parts and I hope I'll be able to get information about those items from other Kammerlader owners to make it as close to the original as possible.

I have a well equipped hobby metalworking workshop and I have quite a bit of experience working with metal, but working with wood is quite new to me. So before I work on the Kammerlader I'm repairing another gun's broken stock to gain some experience.

I have collected a number of photos of rifles with my missing parts, but I could really use some photos that show just the Swedish Kammerlader barrel bands removed from the rifle and placed on millimeter paper(pictured from the front), and a photo showing the rifle looking into the bore and the front of the stock. I would be very grateful if another M1851 owner could take few photos like this. There is a Youtube video showing another model's barrel bands and springs in detail, but no Swedish M1851. I think it would be a shame to leave this rifle in the current sorry state.

I'm currently waiting for my rifle to arrive. I'll post some photos of it when it arrives in few days.

Swedish M1851 Kammerlader with missing parts.

by ironoxide, Thursday, September 19, 2019, 10:15 (86 days ago) @ ironoxide

My Kammerlader finally arrived and as promised I'm posting some photos.

Unfortunately it seems that at some point in its life it fell a victim to someone's "sporterising" attempts. It is a great shame, but at least now it is in hands of someone who will not allow it to deteriorate any further.

As I mentioned previously I'm planning to restore the forestock, the barrel bands and springs. Also I'll be making a new nipple and restoring the hammer face as there is some damage on it. It'll be a slow process. I'm planning to do it carefully, but after receiving the rifle I started having some doubts whether more work should be done to it. It is a historic artefact after all and any modifications diminish its genuiness. The key question here is: will this repair restore the rifle to past condition or after it is done will I see it as further departure from the original. I guess it all will depend on the quality. I bought the rifle for my collection and I have no plans to sell it, but I would be interested in knowing what others think about it.

[image]

[image]

Also, I would very grateful for any photos of original barrel bands removed from the rifle. Even those from the Norwegian Kammerladers. Perhaps the bands on both versions are the same? Having frontal photos would allow me to compare them.

RSS Feed of thread